Subscribe by June 30, 2014
to avoid disruption in service
National / International News
<> Risky Business Report Finds That U.S. Regions and Business Sectors Face Significant Economic Risks From Climate Change - The American economy could face significant and widespread disruptions from climate change unless U.S. businesses and policymakers take immediate action to reduce climate risk, according to a new report released today.
- Official Statements From Members of the Risky Business Project Risk Committee About New Report - Michael Bloomberg, Hank Paulson, Tom Steyer, Henry Cisneros, Gregory Page, Robert Rubin, Donna Shalala, George Shultz, Olympia Snowe, & Al Sommer
<> Ten Ways to Strengthen American Democracy - By Olympia Snowe and Dan Glickman: Jun. 24, 2014. The current level of dysfunction in Washington is nothing like we could have ever imagined when we began our journeys in public service. . . [from the Bipartisan Policy Center]
<> Congressional Reaction To Supreme Court Decision:
- Upton and Whitfield Respond to SCOTUS Decision on Greenhouse Gases
- Vitter: SCOTUS Ruling Grants EPA Enough Leniency to Continue Making Up Numbers, Science
- Rep. Waxman Statement on Supreme Court's Decision in UARG v. EPA
<> Industry Reaction To Supreme Court Decision:
- ACC Welcomes Supreme Court Ruling in Greenhouse Gas Case (American Chemistry Council)
- API welcomes high court decision EPA carbon rules (American Petroleum Institute)
- NAM Applauds SCOTUS Ruling on EPA's GHG Regulations (National Association of Manufacturers)
<> Enviros Reaction To Supreme Court Decision:
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds that Large New and Rebuilt Industrial Emitters Must Use Best Available Controls for Climate Pollution When Discharging Other Major Pollutants (Environmental Defense Fund)
- Supreme Court Reaffirms EPA's Authority to Act on Climate (Sierra Club)
- Supreme Court Upholds EPA's Authority to Limit Carbon PollutionSupreme Court Upholds EPA's Authority to Limit Carbon Pollution (Earthjustice)
- Supreme Court Again Upholds EPA's Authority to Fight Global Warming (Center for Biological Diversity)
- Supreme Court Reaffirms EPA Authority to Curb Power Plant Carbon Pollution (Natural Resources Defense Council)
<> The Pipeline Safety Dilemma: The US Department Of Transportation's Slow ... - As of June 2014, even though nearly 30 months have passed since the 2011 Pipeline Safety Act was signed into law, the Secretary of the Department of Transportation (DOT) has not promulgated any of the new substantive safety rules contemplated by the Act.
<> GAO-14-545, Advanced Reactor Research: DOE Supports Multiple Technologies, but Actions Needed to Ensure a Prototype Is Built, June 23, 2014 - The Nuclear Energy Advisory Committee has criticized the Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Nuclear Energy's (NE) approach, recommending that NE focus its efforts on a smaller number of technologies to help ensure that a reactor prototype is deployed.
<> Webinar: EISPC Energy Zones Mapping Tool Demonstration - A webinar demonstration of the Eastern Interconnection States' Planning Council (EISPC) Energy Zones (EZ) Mapping Tool, a free online mapping tool for identifying areas in all 39 EISPC states that may be suitable for new clean power generation.
<> BOEM Issues First Renewable Energy Lease for MHK Technology Testing in Federal Waters - The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) issued the first ever lease to test marine and hydrokinetic (MHK) energy devices in federal waters to Florida Atlantic University to deploy experimental demonstration devices in an area located approximately 10 to 12 nautical miles from the coast Fort Lauderdale, FL.
<> Secretary Jewell Applauds Designation of Poverty Point in Louisiana as Nation's 22nd World Heritage Site – Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell today applauded the decision by the World Heritage Committee of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization to inscribe the prehistoric Monumental Earthworks of Poverty Point. . .
U.S. Appeals Court Environmental Decisions
<> Asarco LLC v. Union Pacific - In the U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, Case No. 13-1435. ASARCO sought contribution from Union Pacific, et al defendants, under CERCLA. The district court ruled that ASARCO's direct contribution claim was time-barred under CERCLA and the Appeals Court Panel agreed.
Federal Register Highlights
The following is an alert of Environmental Federal Register announcements that may be of interest for: Day, Month, date, 2014. (Click here to access today's complete Federal Register index with links to complete announcements).
1. Water - Proposed Rule. U.S. EPA & Army Corpos of Engineer - Definition of "Waters of the United States" Under the Clean Water Act; Extension of Comment Period PDF | Text |